The following are admissions requirements to the graduate program:
B.A. degree or equivalent; at the very least intermediate knowledge of Russian
- Online application to the Northwestern graduate school
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose outlining plans and reasons for graduate study
- Official college transcripts
- A writing sample(s). Writing samples should show evidence of ability to think and write clearly about literary topics. They may be in Russian or in English.
- TOEFEL is required for non-native English speakers who are not citizens or permanent residents of US, and/or do not hold US or UK academic degrees
- No GRE is required
Application deadline is December 31.
No one factor is considered exclusively in determining graduate admissions, but the admissions committee pays particular attention to the quality of the writing sample.
Many successful applicants have spent some period of time in Russia or present other evidence of an excellent command of Russian.
See The Graduate School (TGS) Admissions resource online: